POSITION TITLE: Director, Brand & Strategy
LOCATION: Toronto, ON or Vancouver, BC
STATUS: Contract, Maternity Leave: 14 – 16 months, Full-Time (with the opportunity for extension)
APPLICATION CLOSE: Friday, July 27, 2018
START DATE: August 2018
REPORTING TO: Managing Director
SALARY RANGE: Commensurate with Experience
TORQUE Strategies is driven by equal parts data and creativity: we use actionable insights to develop marketing strategies that are truly relevant to consumers and build culture-defining brands.
Whether an audience encounters a brand through a story or an experience – it is our goal to ensure that the touchpoint moves them. When our brains are stimulated emotionally this way, it elicits a physiological response that leaves a mark on our memory.
People love to be engaged through empathy, excitement, fine details and relevance, and our team of creative freaks and data geeks tap into research and insights to understand just what makes an audience tick. It’s challenging, and fun, and we’ve got it down to a process – insights driven strategy, tailored to each unique client.
Since our launch in 2014, the firm has enjoyed significant growth, doubling revenues year over year, with offices in Toronto, Vancouver and a recent expansion into the Calgary market. Past and present clients include Hudson’s Bay, DHL, Live Nation, TELUS, CIBC, Corus Entertainment, Hockey Canada, HSBC Canada Sevens, and the Canadian Olympic Committee. We’re sure you will check out our website to see the full list.
You’re equal parts left and right brained. Often when attending an event, you find yourself asking “Why?” when you come across a branded experience. Sometimes it works, sometimes it doesn’t, either way you have an opinion. While debating with your friends over the best Olympic, Oscar or Super Bowl campaign – your closing (and winning) argument is built around authenticity and engagement. You believe culture eats strategy for breakfast, but great strategy for a client sure can kick some ass.
As a senior client lead, the successful candidate facilitates and manages high level relationships within a portfolio of regional, national, and international clients. Acting as the main point of contact for assigned clients, the Director will be responsible for tip to tail project management, developing strategies for clients and delivering superior product and client service. The Director will be tasked to continually exceed client expectations and deliver exceptional energy and leadership to all stakeholders. In addition, the Director will play an integral role in further developing and amplifying the brand voice of TORQUE Strategies and our incredible portfolio of valued clients within the sport, culture and entertainment sectors. Working within our tight-knit team environment, the Director will be expected to lead and inspire direct reports, building an environment ripe for growth and development.
The candidate requires industry leading marketing and sponsorship strategy expertise, exceptional brand management acumen and excellent written and oral communication skills with the demonstrated ability to build strong, long lasting relationships. The candidate will be a markedly confident self-starter, able to bring a significant skill set and positive attitude to our vibrant and fast paced team culture. We’re looking to add to our team of strategic, insightful and courageous minds – and challenge our new teammate to be a key collaborator and enabler of continued success. This is an evolving position and responsibilities may shift over time.
These are our values: (and if you’re a fit they align with yours too)
- Truth Tellers – trusting and trusted
- Fire Starters – igniting passion and purpose
- Bridge Builders – integrating opportunities and partnerships
- Trail Blazers – innovating courageously
- Game Changers – elevating performance
- Difference Makers – delivering excellence
- Act as a key brand strategist developing and managing integrated marketing strategies, programs and plans for all client accounts
- Develop meaningful and poignant brand narratives and strategies to tell a brand’s story
- Translate brand strategies into plans, positioning and go-to-market strategies
- Develop and deliver robust reports summarizing client deliverables through exceptional visual communication and compelling presentation tactics
- Develop superb working relationships and services with corporate contacts while ensuring a high level of client satisfaction
- Full scale Client & Project Management:
- Manage assigned client accounts demonstrating exemplary use of project, budget and time management best practices, communication and reporting, engagement of internal resources and support collaboration as a bridge between departments
- Produce client reports, summaries and presentation as required
- Manage budget and profitability for assigned client accounts
- Lead meetings and track progress of deliverables for assigned client accounts/projects
- Participate in and lead ideation and discovery sessions
- Stay ahead of the curve in marketing industry trends, news and insights
- Manage billing and budget reconciliation for clients and projects within the assigned portfolio
- Support business development efforts where necessary
- Contribute to agency marketing and content creation initiatives that promote our industry expertise
- Support the development of TORQUE Strategies’ brand in the marketplace
- Lead, inspire, motivate and mentor direct reports
- Travel as required
- Other duties may be assigned as required
- 6-10 years client management and strategy development experience in an agency or marketing environment
- Experience managing direct reports
- Proven working experience as a brand manager or brand strategist
- Experience within and a strong understanding of the sponsorship marketing landscape
- Exceptional project management skills with a strong attention to detail
- Exceptional internal and external relationship management skills
- Exceptional verbal and written communication and presentation skills
- A degree or diploma from a recognized institution in a related field
- Strong knowledge of the marketing agency industry and business practices, up to date with latest trends and marketing best practices
- Strong budget and critical path management skills with previous experience working in a fast-paced environment with emphasis on timelines and delivery of projects
- Strong analytical skills and data-driven thinking
- Strong understanding of creative process
- A keen eye for detail, a passion for exceeding expectations and a desire for providing “value-added” service (bonus points if you can find a typo in this posting)
- Proficiency in Microsoft Office (specifically PowerPoint, Word, Excel, and Outlook)
- Sales, broadcast, media relations, PR and social media experience an asset
- Experience working or volunteering in the sports/entertainment field or marketing communications industry
- Fluency in English required
- Fluency in French an asset
- Expertise in event management/production, experiential marketing and/or design is definitely an asset – we are growing and looking for great marketers. If you in excel in one or more of these areas, we want to hear from you!
Interested applicants please send a cover letter and résumé directly to: firstname.lastname@example.org with “Job Posting: Director, Brand & Strategy (Maternity Leave) – TORQUE Strategies – preferred location” and your last name in the subject line. Only applicants selected for an interview will be contacted.